Layers Of Insurance Coverage

“I honestly think I need to credit some of my success in coaching to all of you and your generosity and willingness to give with no expectation of any return. That is something that has shaped my values today, and something I try to impress upon all of the youth I work with. So please know that you haven’t impressed these values on just me, but on every young person I work with… I can never thank you enough…”

James Hanson, Minneapolis, Minnesota

Kauffman Law Firm is licensed to practice in all courts in Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin.  We actively represent injured persons and their families throughout Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin.  However, insurance is not the same in all three states.  This section generally explains layers of insurance available in these three states.

Recoverable Losses

If you or a loved have been injured in an accident, you may be entitled to losses including:

  • Past medical expenses*
  • Past pain and suffering*
  • Past lost wages
  • Future medical expenses
  • Future pain and suffering
  • Future lost earning capacity

* For further discussion of these losses, see: 

Insurance Coverage

There may be several layers of insurance coverage and several different insurers involved in your case.  You need to understand and be aware how these insurance coverages work—and how they work together.  You should also review your own insurance policies with your agent to confirm that you have adequate insurance.

1. Property Damage Insurance (PD)/Collision:

Your insurance covering damage to your vehicle and personal property within your vehicle.

You may have Property Damage Insurance (Collision) through your own insurance.

2. Minnesota No-Fault Insurance or Medical Pay Insurance in Iowa and Wisconsin:

No-Fault Insurance is paid by your own car or truck insurance company regardless of faultNo-Fault Insurance:

  • Covers specific out-of-pocket expenses.
  • Incurred as a result of personal injury or death.
  • Arising from the maintenance or use of a car or truck.
  • Minimum No-Fault limits = $20,000 medical/$20,000 wage loss for each policy.
  • Insurance policies may be “stacked” for multiple No-Fault benefits.

      *   Auto insurance policies issued in Iowa and Wisconsin usually have Medical Pay Insurance.  Medical Pay Insurance is usually is limited to $1,000 or $5,000 per  accident and covers only medical expenses.

3. Liability Insurance:  Claims Against Another Owner or Driver:

You may make a claim beyond Minnesota No-Fault benefits against another owner or driver—called a Liability Claim—if:

  1. You prove that the accident was caused by the fault of another, and
  2. In Minnesota, you meet one of the No-Fault Thresholds:              
  • $4,000 in treatment expenses, OR
  • 60 days inability to work or perform your normal daily activities, OR
  • Permanent injury determined by a doctor, OR
  • Permanent disfigurement or scarring, OR
  • Death

3.  You may be entitled to the following Recoverable Losses:

  • Past pain and suffering.
  • Future medical expenses.
  • Future lost earning capacity.
  • Future pain and suffering.

Minimum coverage: Minnesota:    $30,000/$60,000

Uninsured Motorist Insurance (UM):

You may have insurance for losses similar to Liability Insurance when the at-fault party has no liability insurance to cover your losses.

Minimum coverage:    Minnesota             $25,000/$50,000

4. Underinsured Motorist Insurance (UIM):

You may have excess insurance for losses similar to Liability Insurance when the at-fault party does not have enough insurance to cover your losses.

Minimum coverage:    Minnesota             $25,000/$50,000

5. Umbrella Insurance:

Excess insurance may be available if the at-fault party has Umbrella Insurance.

Interpreting and applying different types of insurance may be complex and time consuming.  The insurance companies have much more knowledge and experience in interpreting and applying different types of insurance than you have.

If you or a loved one have been injured in a car accident or truck accident, you need to concentrate on one thing — getting on with your life.  Let our experienced team handle the insurance paperwork including claim forms, reports, authorizations, and requests for recorded statements.

Free Consultation

We offer a free consultation, so you have nothing to lose by contacting us first.  For a free consultation:

Email us at or

Call us at 507-285-5350 or 877-285-5350

Read More: